- Highlights and Recognitions:
- City of Minidoka got some professional assistance with their obscure cemetery last month. They are interested in revitalizing the cemetery to possibly accept new burials, but need to know where the old burials are first.
I was lucky enough to take some video/pictures, documentation, observe, research and share what information that I could from the museum and assist in anything that I could on behalf of the Minidoka County Historical Society Museum.
It was wonderful meeting the 9 Professional Human Remains/Cadaver Working Dogs and their handlers coming from Arizona, California, Colorado, Tennessee, and Idaho. Paul Martin also utilized GPR- Ground Penetrating Radar and soil compaction meter.
Minidoka Mayor James Cook provided information on the cemetery and the city. The City of Minidoka hosted a wonderful lunch for all. Local residents and city employees Joyce and Cindy hosted the lunch at City Hall. **** Click on the link below to see the video of KMVT coverage.
- New Hire:
- The Minidoka Museum is excited to introduce and work with our new hire, Florence Dickens. She will be working Saturdays from 10am-3pm and cover other times as well.
- Last month we mentioned the National Car club that came through, well we also had a local car club, Mini-Cassia Auto Collectors, come out for a meeting and Ice Cream Social. A lot of fun was had and we have wonderful pictures on the face book site or you can come in.
- October’s Members Meeting
- This month’s member’s meeting/event for October 27, 2018 at 1pm will be the unveiling of the Digitized Newspaper collection for early 1900’s. Currently the first half of the newspapers is ready for public viewing and research. Work is progressing to finish the rest of the collection. We would like to welcome everyone to come out and see how to access the information. You can easily research special events or community events for your family’s names or other information. Please come out and see this new update technology that is going to be a blessing in time saving for researching.
Restoration of the Russell Steam Tractor
This project is underway and Mike Christensen updated us that it going forward and into his shop. They are still taking in donations or volunteers to help.
- Ray’s Jam Session:
• Ray’s Jam Sessions in CANCLED for this month. We will pick it up again in November, 17th at 1pm.
- Family Stories wanted:
• This is an exciting opportunity for you to tell your families story and pass on your legacy and perhaps be part of an exhibit. Jeff Carr PR Director at the Museum of Idaho has asked the
museum as well as local residents to help in an upcoming exhibit they will be having. As part of our museum’s ongoing expansion, we’re conceptualizing a brand-new, large, comprehensive Idaho exhibit called "The Way Out West." We’re designing it alongside subject-matter experts, but we’re also reaching out into communities in Eastern Idaho with a call for interesting personal stories and experiences that say something about life here. In addition to your wonderful museum, we'd love for Minidoka residents to see themselves reflected in our new exhibit as well since it aims to encompass the entire region. The due
date has been extended until Oct.30th.
- Submit Stories To:
Or by picking up a form at the Minidoka Museum or at the Burley Public Library
• Board meetings:
Board Meetings are the 2nd
Monday of the month at noon
* Members meeting:
Meetings are the 4th Saturday
of the month at 1 pm.
• Board Members:
President: Gus Bryngeslson
Vice President: Jim Grisenti
Treasurer: Audrey Neiwerth
Directors: Ray Stockton
Curator: Melissa Alley
Become a member and
A volunteer Get involved
• Yearly Dues:
Child 13-18 $4.00
Children 12 Free
Life Time $100.00
Halloween Fun Time
- Halloween Coloring Page Contest. Bring your kid’s in and pick up a sheet and we display them in the museum and be sure get your trick or treating done too.
Skeleton’s in the closets:
- Any family members that you are not sure where are buried? Think you may have old homesteader’s graves on your property or fields even or have heard stories of such passed down. Get them checked out. We now have a Cadaver Dog expert on staff now.